Question: Should employers include naloxone, also known as Narcan, in first aid kits?
Answer: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Narcan for over-the-counter use earlier this spring. Narcan is a medication that is used to reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 9% of workplace deaths are unintentional drug or alcohol deaths.
Employers should include naloxone in its first aid kits now that it is easily obtainable. Policies and procedures should be created to address these issues:
- Responding to an opioid overdose
- Providing first aid and CPR training to employees
- Training employees on how to recognize an overdose
- Training employees on how to administer the drug and CPR after administration
- How to obtain naloxone and when to replenish the drug
- Written documentation of drug overdose and naloxone use